What better way to greet the New Year than with a bright, beautiful new smile? The Burgess Center for Cosmetic Dentistry in Jacksonville Beach offers these tips for achieving and maintaining that great new look that’s on everyone’s New Year Resolutions list:
- Brush your teeth at least two times a day with a fluoride toothpaste. Regular brushing removes plaque from the surface of your teeth before it hardens into dental calculus. Also known as tartar, calculus is forms on when bacteria, food particles and mineral salts harden on the surface of your teeth. It typically forms as a yellow or brown coating that feels rough to the touch. It’s a major culprit behind bad breath and is the leading cause of periodontal disease and tooth loss.
- Change your toothbrush ever three months. Like anything else, it wears out with regular use and becomes less effective. A few exceptions: some electric tooth brushes can go six months before wearing out. If you have gum disease, it’s highly recommended that you change your toothbrush every four to six weeks because bacteria can harbor in the bristles. And always get a new toothbrush after any illness.
- Floss your teeth every day. It’s the only way to remove plaque that hides between your teeth. Even the fanciest toothbrush won’t do the trick.
- Use an antimicrobial mouth rinse to give an extra kick to controlling plaque and to help keep your breath “kissably fresh,” as the commercials say.
- Chances are, eating healthier means and snacks is already on your New Year’s resolutions list. Not only will it help you achieve and maintain a great figure, good nutrition contributes to your dental health, too.
Visit Burgess Cosmetic Dentistry in Jacksonville Beach for regular checkups and dental cleanings. We’ll help keep your teeth and gums healthy and can address any other dental issue you have, from simple fixes like whitening stained teeth to more complex procedures like restorative laser dental surgery.