The best way to treat dry mouth — known medically as xerostomia (zeer-o-STOE-me-uh) — depends on what’s causing it. You can do some things to relieve dry mouth temporarily. But for the best long-term dry mouth remedy, it’s recommended that you visit a medical professional to address it’s cause.
To relieve your dry mouth:
– Sip water or sugarless drinks, or suck on ice chips.
– Avoid irritants, such as tobacco, alcohol, and caffeine.
– Chew sugar-free gum or suck on sugar-free candy.
– Avoid salty or spicy foods.
– Use a humidifier at night.
– Consider using saliva substitutes.